Tuesday 11 September 2012

Starting out in Jerusalem- First impressions.

First Impressions: Overawed by the history of the place, which I wont go into too much, as various Wikipedia articles effectively summarise it far better than I. However there are aspects of the old and new city that are immensely powerful in prestige and beauty.

The Old City is amazing, I allowed myself to get lost and just wonder around for hours, imagining that I was some old pilgrim/ crusader- gawping at all the shops, towers and Gates. Be prepared to fight off the shop keepers, who will do anything to entice you into their shop, and then pounce on you- "Nice set of earrings, yes?? You have girlfriend yes?? You buy it for her, she will be happy......Have coffee and buy these (insert random piece of Holy Land jewellery) etc etc."

Amusing, but gets old quickly. One chap asked me to write the words GRAND OPENING on a piece of paper in his shop, which turned out to be a ploy to get me into said shop. Upon making it clear that I had no intention of buying anything, and turning my back I hear the sound of the paper being crunched and thrown in a bin.










The attraction that Jerusalem has to religious oddities. For example certain individuals/prophets/light-bringers that are currently residing in my Hostel.

East and West Jerusalem- Where is the dividing line, and what are the differences?

A breakdown of why the cost of living is so high in Israel, and what factors attribute to this. And what it could mean for the youth, Palestinians, and the state as a whole.


No comments:

Post a Comment